Friday, September 26, 2008

Week 5 - Multimedia Representation & Storage

After reading the required articles regarding data compression and its basics, I find Wikipedia to be quite informative on a layperson's level. Wikipedia defined "data compression" as an encoding of daa using less bits via specific encoding schemes. The sender and receiver must understand the scheme itself to use data compression. Compression means compact, in my words, and a reducing. Therefore, data compression reduces information, yet stores more. It is transferred in less time also as it stores more. It brings me back to the cliche that less is more. Data compression requires trade-offs in order to compress and decompress data.

Data compression basics on media does not require information theory, mathematics, or even programming. I learned that binary digits were bits. Information that is guaranteed (the same as its originality) is termed "lossless". Unguaranteed information (a wanna-be or a to be original text) is termed "lossy".

A new term for me from these articles is "run-length encoding". I think the breakdown of it is kind of simple and I see that sequence is unimportant here.

The last two articles could not be assessed; those pages could not be found as my personal laptop froze last night as I was in the Pitt Portal and Course Web. I was unable to submit this blog last night.

Have a pleasant weekend Cohort 8.5, Dr. He, and Wan (TA)

Connie Williams

No comments: